Last Updated: July 22, 2013
So you’ve decided you’d like to transfer schools! As you so diligently research potential colleges you could make the move to, keep an eye out for shadow programs that allow prospective students to follow current students through an average day of sitting in on classes, attending club meetings, and hanging out in the residence halls.
Shadowing someone allows you to be the closest thing to a student without actually being a student. It also means you can get the 411 from the person you’re shadowing on their experience at the school. So make sure you take advantage of such a robust resource! The more information you can squeeze out of your peer, the more informed a decision you can make when it comes down to finally choosing your transfer college.
Here’s a list of questions you can ask your college host:
- Why did you choose this school as opposed to all the other schools you applied to?
- Where is your favorite place on campus and why?
- How would you rate your quality of education here?
- What’s one word you would use to describe the student body overall?
- Where is the best place to eat on campus?
- Where is the best place to study on campus?
- Would you say the students here are more academically or socially driven?
- Do you feel comfortable walking around campus at night?
- Are there better dorms to live in than others?
- Do students generally live in the dorms every year, or is there a lot of off-campus housing?
- How well do the RAs handle situations in your residence hall?
- What has your experience been with accessing help from professors?
- How big have your class sizes been?
- Are you involved with any clubs or organizations?
- What do people do here in their spare time?
- Do you feel safe in the neighborhoods surrounding campus?
- Would you ever classify this school as a party school?
- What are students proud of about going to this school?
- What is one problem or issue this campus is facing?
- Why would people transfer to or from this college?
- Are you happy here? Do you feel at home here?
- What makes this college special to you?
- What are you and your friends majoring in?
- What are three things every transfer student should know about this college before their first day?
- How easy is it to get around campus? Are there multiple campuses?
- Where is the best coffee on campus?
- Where do you think most students here meet friends?
- Do you feel like you have ample space in your dorm room? How many people share one bathroom?
- What is course registration like? Are you always able to take the classes you want to take?
- How respectful is the student body of diversity?
- What do you like best about your college’s culture?
- How well do you think a transfer student could adjust to this college?
For help on finding your perfect college fit, make your profile on Cappex today!
Original Post Date: April 13th, 2012