Totally lost in your college search process? Visit a college fair. College fairs bring many schools to you at one time. While it might sound overwhelming, these fairs do a great job of making schools come to life. Reading statistics in a hefty college book will only get you so far. Take the time to find a college fair and talk to representatives from different schools. Here is a checklist for you to make the most of this great opportunity!
- Find the college fair. Well, obviously, but if your school doesn’t offer one, there are national fairs that happen on specific weekends in specific cities around the country. Find the one nearest to you!
- Register for the fair. Some of these national fairs require that students register. Not all, but some.
- Print a list of the colleges featured at your fair. Highlight the ones that peak your interest.
- Bring a pen!
- And a notebook.
- And a backpack or bag to hold brochures.
- Make sure you have a working email address. Some colleges will have a newsletter sign-up sheet for you to get more information about the school and its programs.
- Write down questions to ask representatives. Seriously. Do this! If you don’t know what to ask, take a look at Questions to Interview Your Potential College.
- Do not be afraid to attend an informational meeting or question session if it is offered! Even if you don’t know what to ask, hearing other important questions being answered will be beneficial.
- Take notes.
- Take more notes!
- Allow yourself time to visit booths that you didn’t highlight initially. They might surprise you!
When you get home after the fair, look at all the notes you took and brochures you collected. If there are schools that stood out, dig deeper into their websites to see if they are truly a good fit for you. Find colleges on Cappex and browse their profiles to learn more about them. In addition, find out what schools are similar to the ones you’ve collected. All of the colleges and universities available to you cannot possibly be represented in one college fair, so use the fair as a springboard for your search.
The college search process does not have to be frustrating and tedious. It may feel that way at times, but know that there is seldom just one school that suits your needs. There are tons of schools out there that will give you a great education and can make you a happy student!
Tags: college fairs